I absolutely love fruit salad with poppy seed dressing! It’s sweet and creamy with just a slight tang to it. But did you know that many conventional dressings contain the heavy metal titanium dioxide? (source)
Studies have shown titanium dioxide to cause DNA damage and cancer in lab rats! Here you can buy food grade titanium dioxide with arsenic and mercury. Yummy.
Then of course there’s the gmo soybean oil and the high fructose corn syrup. Salad isn’t sounding like such a healthy choice now is it? If you’d rather miss out on all these *wonderful* benefits, here’s a recipe to make your own, sans heavy metals and other toxins
- 1/3 cup white vinegar
- 2/3 cup sugar (rapadura, or evaporated cane crystals) - get it here
- 1 tsp ground mustard - get it here
- 1 tsp onion powder or 2 tsp minced onion get it here
- 1 cup olive oil - get organic here
- 2 Tbsp poppy seeds - get them here
- Heat vinegar and sugar in saucepan on stove just until the sugar is dissolved. You don't want this to simmer or get too warm.
- Pour the vinegar into a blender and add the mustard and onion. If you're using a high power blender like a Vitamix then minced onion will work fine, otherwise be sure to use the powder.
- Blend on medium-high until the ingredients are well combined, about 10-20 seconds.
- Turn the blender on high and take the top off. If you have the option, just remove part of the top so that you can pour the oil through.
- SLOWLY begin to pour the oil into the blender as it's running. After about a third of the oil is in you can begin to pour faster. Turn the blender off
- Pour in the poppy seeds and pulse a few times, just until combined.
- The dressing will be fairly warm, so you'll probably want to put it in the fridge for about an hour before using it.
- Store in a closed container in the refrigerator.